St. Ann – Location and Geography
Situated in the northern section of the island, St. Ann is bounded on the east by the parish of St. Mary, and on the west by the parish of Trelawny. It shares its southern borders with the parishes of St. Catherine and Clarendon.
At 1212.4 sq, km (468.2 sq. miles), St. Ann is among the larger parishes in Jamaica
Geography and the Environment
The dominant range is the Dry Harbour Mountains, but individual peaks such as Mount Diablo, Mount Alba and Mount Zion are prominent. On the plains, the soil type is predominantly limestone, which, along with the many rivers, gives rise to numerous caves and sinkholes. Some 60 caves have been noted throughout the parish, of which the most famous is the Green Grotto, in Runaway Bay.
St. Ann also has considerable wetland (swamp) areas, particularly along the coast.
St. Ann is known for its red soil – soil red with bauxite, Jamaica’s most important mineral. This mineral is associated with the underlying dry limestone rocks of the parish. Limestone is largely used in road construction, as building material and in the mineral of Portland Cement.